My dads favourite Christmas biscuits (Heidesand)
German Heidesand recipe
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 40 biscuits
- 250 g butter
- 300 g caster sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsps single cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 375 g flour
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder or finely grated dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven up to 200° C. Melt the butter and let it lightly brown. Allow to cool (ideally in a mixing bowl).
2. With a handheld mixer, beat the liquid butter with 200 g sugar and vanilla sugar until frothy.
3. Add cream, pinch of salt and flour and knead all these ingredients using a mixer with a dough hook until they form a smooth dough.
4. Divide the dough into two portions. Halve one portion again and form into two rolls that are each 2 cm in diameter.
5. Knead the cocoa powder or chocolate into the other portion. Also divide the chocolate dough into two portions and roll these out onto a floured surface.
6. Wrap a portion of the dark dough around each roll of light dough and then wrap in foil. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
7. Cut both rolls into slices approx. 5 mm thick and put the biscuits on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment.
8. Bake at 200 °C on the middle rack until golden yellow (10-12 minutes, top and bottom heat). Enjoy!Print
The dough can be flash-frozen and when thawed, remains delicious for up to a year.