Martinican Punch Coco with homemade coconut milk
Punch Coco Recipe
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Servings: 1.2 l of Punch Coco
Homemade Coconut Milk
- 3-4 coconuts + their coconut water
- 200 ml of water per coconut (so 600-800 ml)
- 800 ml of coconut milk
- 300 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g cane sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder (or 2 sticks cinnamon)
- 1 tbsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract or 2 vanilla pods
- 300 ml white rhum agricole
- 200 ml rhum vieux (dark rhum agricole)
1. To get an amazing homemade coconut milk: Clean your coconuts and break them into smaller pieces before putting them into a food processor. You can also shred them by hand but it's a lot of work. 😉 Heat up the water and coconut water but don't bring it to a boil.
2. Pour the warm water on top of the shredded coconut into a large bowl and start mixing together with your hands. Massage well for about 5 minutes. Drain the soaking coconut through a kitchen towel in 3 parts.
3. Try to squeeze out as much milk as possible. Keep the milk in a separate bowl.*
4. For the Punch Coco: Use 800 ml of the just prepared milk and slowly heat it up in a large pot together with the sweetened condensed milk. Add all the condiments, sugar and vanilla (if using vanilla pods halve them before).
5. Keep stirring for 45 minutes to about an hour on a low flame so that it reduces and thickens slowly. Use a wooden spoon and swipe with one finger on the back of the spoon. When the liquid stays in place it's the perfect consistency.
6. Cool completely at room temperature and mix together with the two types of rum (this will make about 1.3 l). Fill in a bottle or drink right away with some ice.
7. This Punch Coco is most delicious with a dash of lime juice and best enjoyed when sharing with friends. Enjoy!Print
*Don't toss the shredded coconut: You can make some coconut sake with it.