Crumbliest English Scones with Strawberry Jam
Scones with Strawberry Jam Recipe
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 8-10 scones
- 150 g butter (cold from the fridge)
- 500 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar (heaped)
- 2 large eggs (reserve some egg wash)
- 4 tablespoons milk 150 g dried fruit (e.g. currants) 100 ml fruit juice (e.g. orange juice) salt
- 500 g fresh strawberries
- 60 g sugar (or vanilla sugar)
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
1. First, soak the dried fruits in the orange juice either overnight or until you make the dough.
2. The jam: Wash and cut the strawberries into small pieces and add them into a small pot together with the sugar, lemon juice and zest. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes until it thickened up while stirring throughout. Remove from heat and set aside.*
3. Now for the dough: One note up front, it is essential to work the dough as little as possible to get the crumbly and perfectly risen scones you desire. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and pinch of salt in a large bowl and softly stir them together.
4. Add the cold butter and start mixing everything together using your fingers to break up the butter. Carry on until the mixture looks like small breadcrumbs.
5. Make a well in the middle of the dough and add your eggs and milk. Stir it up with a wooden spoon or spatula. Drain your soaked fruit and add that to the mixture.
6. If you feel the mixture is too dry add a little more of the milk until you have a soft, dry dough. Get the dough onto the kitchen surface and move it around as little as possible until it comes together still looking a little rough.
7. Cover the dough in some transparent foil and let rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
8. Roll the dough out either with your hands or a rolling pin until it’s about 2 to 3cm thick. Get a round cutter in the size of preference or use a glass and cut out circles and place them onto a baking sheet. Make more scones out of the offcuts but avoid working the dough much. Use egg wash to brush the scones (you can also use milk or melted butter).
9. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they have risen and are golden. Leave them to cool down slightly.
10. Break them open and top with the clotted cream and your homemade strawberry jam. Enjoy!Print
*It's best to pop the jam into a bowl and put it into the fridge until needed.