Mandeltårta – Swedish Almond Meringue Cake
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour
Servings: 12-16 slices
- 150 g ground almonds
- 5 eggs
- 300 g sugar (200 + 100)
- 100 ml cream
- 175 g butter (cold from the fridge)
- handful almond flakes
1. Draw circles with 22-24 cm in diameter onto some baking paper. Since there will be two bases for the cake, use two baking sheets with a circle on each.*
2. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Put the egg yolks aside. Add the egg whites in a dry and grease-free bowl and beat them until foamy. Slowly incorporate the 200 g sugar step by step until you get the typical meringue shiny texture or the egg whites.
3. Gently fold the ground almonds in and stir gently until smooth. Spread the batter evenly onto a baking tray, inside your plotted circles on parchment paper and bake both cakes one after the other on the lower middle drawer of the oven at 175 ° C for about 22 minutes.
4. Turn the finished meringues immediately onto another baking sheet and slide the parchment paper from the bottom. Let them cool off completely.
5. Heat up the cream in a small saucepan and add the 100 g sugar. Stir well until the sugar has dissolved. Add the egg yolks and slowly let the mixture thicken up, keep stirring and don't let it cook but simmer slightly.
6. When the mixture thickens, remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for a minute. Add the cold butter, a little at a time, and mix until smooth between each knob of butter until the butter is whipped down and the cream is smooth and shiny. Let the cream cool and solidify (e.g. in the refrigerator).
7. In the meantime prepare the toasted almond flakes. Put them into a pan and carefully brown them from both sides. Do not use any oil for this. Let cool before garnishing the cake later on.
8. Once the cake layers, the buttercream and the toasted almond flakes are cooled down to room temperature, you can add up the cake. Spread the base with half of the amount of buttercream. Add the second cake base and spread the rest of the butter cream on top.
9. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and store the almond cake in the refrigerator until serving. It is also possible to freeze the cake. Enjoy!Print
*You can use a bowl and just flip it to use it as the shape and if you have a dish with about that size, you can use that for drawing.